Serving Maryland and Washington D.C. 301-870-1200

Contributory Negligence In Washington DC Slip and Fall Accident

Slip and fall are personal injury cases caused by a situation where a person trips or slips and falls. Some of the common places where slip and fall accidents happen include warehouses, malls, and grocery stores. When you have been injured because the responsible party was negligent, you can talk to a slip and fall injury lawyer Washington DC to get compensated. The lawyer will protect your rights and ensure you get a settlement as compensation for the losses you have incurred.

Bringing a lawsuit against the party responsible for the injuries is easier said than done. The process is complicated, and if you try to go through it alone, you can get frustrated. Working with a qualified attorney makes things much easier for you. The attorney understands how such personal injuries work and the tactics needed for a successful outcome.

Slip and Fall Injuries

DC slip and fall injuries can lead to significant harm, and that is why it is important to get compensated for such a loss. Some of the results of slip and fall trauma include:

  • Brain injuries
  • Neck injuries
  • Broken bones
  • Knee injuries
  • Spinal cord injures
  • Shoulder injure
  • Muscles and ligament injuries

Types of Recoverable Damages

The injured party is entitled to a settlement as compensation for damages. This can include medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, loss of enjoyment of life, lost earning capacity, and loss of consortium. It is important that you consult with a Washington DC slip and fall attorney to see what types of damages you may get a settlement for.

What Is Contributory Negligence?

An experienced attorney knows that pursuing a personal injury claim for a Washington DC slip and fall accident is not always easy. Property owners are not always held responsible for the injuries of other people. For instance, maybe the property owner had put a sign indicating that the floor is wet or slippery. In such a case, the court can rule out that the property owner took measures to warn or protect people about a hazardous condition and, therefore, is not liable.

Washington DC law follows the principle of contributory negligence. What this means is that if the injured person in a slip and fall accident is found to have contributed to the accident, the victim can be barred from recovery. Talking to a DC premises liability lawyer makes things easier because the attorney will analyze your case and determine the party at fault, then inform you of your options.

Who Is Affected By Contributory Negligence?

Unfortunately, it is the injured party that gets affected by this type of law the most. For instance, take a situation where you are entitled to $100000 as compensation for the damages caused. If you were partly to blame, say by 25%, then you should get at least $75,000 as compensation because the other party contributed to 75% of the injuries. Unfortunately, because of contributory negligence, you may end up with nothing. Seeing how complicated and difficult this situation can be, it is advisable to find an attorney.

Proving Negligence

For you to establish liability in your claim, you need to prove four elements, namely duty, breach of duty, causation, and damages. In such a case, the breach of duty is often the failure of the responsible party to take reasonable measures to ensure the property is safe. This includes a situation where the responsible party was aware of the unsafe conditions but chose not to rectify the situation. If you believe the injury was due to someone else’s negligence, find an experienced slip and fall attorney for advice on what to do.

How An Attorney Can Help

Cases involving contributory negligence are not straightforward. Due to their complexities, victims should not take them lightly. Both parties will try and throw blame towards each other, and that is why you need the best premises liability lawyer in DC to help you out. Here are some of the ways the best premises liability attorney in DC can help:

  • Conducting investigations
  • Gathering evidence by talking to eyewitnesses and getting photos of the accident scene
  • Reconstructing the incident to show the events that led to the accident
  • Working with a medical professional to prove the extent of the damage

If you have suffered fall and slip injuries because someone was negligent, getting legal representation is the right thing to do. Here at the Law Office of Robert Castro, located in Maryland, we offer legal representation to victims that have been injured in slip and fall accidents. Our lawyers will work diligently to build a strong case and fight for you. Do not hesitate to give us a call today for a consultation.